Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Good Belly

 Today after a grueling workout I decided to stop by the local grocery store to grab some healthy snacks for the office.  As I was walking past the juice section (or whatever you call it) I noticed a new product. Well, at least it is new to me.  The name of the product caught my attention.   Goodbelly is a non-GMO, soy & dairy free and vegan product that contains probiotics. decision. 

  
I could not make up my mind between   Mango, Blueberry Acai, Pomegranate Blackberry and Tropical Green.  Decisions...Decisions! What was a girl to do?  I decided to do what any sane person would do in this situation.  I pointed to the the selection and eeny meeny miney moed to get to a 


So what are Probiotics? 
I conducted an internet search (because everyone knows that everything you find on the internet is true...lol) on probiotics and found this definition on Web Md (one of my favorite places to diagnose myself...lol)
Image result for probiotics stomach cartoon
Photo credit :http://solvingtheibspuzzle.com/human-digestive-system/
“Probiotics are live bacteria and yeast that are good for your health, especially your digestive system.  We usually think of bacteria as something that causes diseases.  But your body is full of bacteria, both good and bad.  Probiotics are often called “good” or “helpful” bacteria because they help keep your gut healthy.” http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/what-are-probiotics

Image result for intestine clipart probiotics
Photo credit: www.canstockphoto.com

 According to the National Institutes of Health US National Library of Medicine , Lactobacillus (I believe this is the same type of probiotic found in GoodBelly)  has effective ratings in the following:
  • Preventing diarrhea in children caused by antibiotics
  • Preventing diarrhea in hospitalized adults
  • Preventing diarrhea due to raveling
  • Preventing diarrhea due to cancer treatment
  • Colic in babies
  • Lung infections
  • Treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • Treating vaginal infections caused by bacteria (bacterial vaginosis)
  • Treating and preventing eczema (atopic dermatitis) in infants and children who are allergic to cow’s milk
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/790.html

Image result for good belly coupon
Photo Credit: www.goodbelly.com
Good Belly gives a great description of how probiotics work.  
The probiotic in GoodBelly is called Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v.  They chose this strain because of the evidence that it promotes healthy digestion.  I checked out their website and loved the description they used to describe how GoodBelly works. They first explain intestinal microflora.  Microflora live in your intestine. Some assist in achieving a healthy digestive and immune systems and some can be harmful.   Many things effect microflora balance such as age, lifestyle, stress exercise and diet.  When in balance the intestinal microflora a When harmful bacteria take over. Common symptoms include: cramping, constipation and/or diarrhea, bloating, flatulence, feeling run-down or out of sorts.  Probiotics work by dwelling in the intestine, living off of the same nutrients as undesirable bacteria.  Consuming GoodBelly  promotes healthy digestion. http://www.goodbelly.com/goodhealth/

Today I signed up to participate in their “12 Day Belly Reboot”.  Once I signed up I was  able to access an app to track my progress. For the next 12 days I will drink one glass of GoodBelly each day and track how it's  effecting me.    Look for an update later this month or early June. 











No comments:

Post a Comment