Thursday, March 26, 2015

Engagement Crab Cakes

I recommend that everyone have a go to recipe, whether they are “into “cooking or not.  I believe that women, especially single women should have a recipe up their sleeve that can knock a man off of his feet onto one knee with a Tiffany diamond in hand.  But ladies be careful, make sure you are ready for what is sure to follow.  

Image result for crab cakes
Photo Credit: savoryexperiments.com





In the summer of 2011 I was not particularly sold on the idea of marriage. Yes, I had a gentleman caller or two (don’t you dare judge me), but nothing too serious.   One day I unintentionally shot one of cupid’s arrows into a man's heart.  Well actually I shot an arrow into his stomach.  Everything that your grandma and Aunt Pearl has told you is true; the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.

One July afternoon I decided I wanted to make crab cakes.  I determined what flavors I wanted to use in my crab boil, and then it was off to my local farmers market for some yummy crabs.  I told myself " If you are going to make a crab cake you have to do it right".  I was determined to make my crab cakes from “scratch, scratch”.  

When we arrived at his apartment I had a moment of clarity.  Wait a minute, how am I going to get the crab meat out of the crabs if they are still alive? Does this mean we are going to cook them ourselves.  Right before his eyes I transformed into Paula the Peta demonstrator.  “Nooooooooo!!! We can’t kill the crabs” I yelled frantically.  “We have to go to the nearest beach and free these little fellas”. Whoa, I had serious “Free Willy” moment. After minutes of trying to convince him to join my movement; I decided to let it go and proceed with my original plan.  Let’s  just say that the end result was so good that he no longer believed that I was bat crap crazy.  Also, did I mentioned that we were engaged by the following year? 

Here is my recipe for my Engagement crab cakes.  Or, I need a distraction so this guy doesn't think I have lost my mind crab cakes. Or, I want to make a great impression on his mother crab cakes. Or, I am sorry i bought those shoes, but I really needed them crab cakes.  I'm sure you get the point. 

Here is my recipe for my Engagement crab cakes.  Serve crab cakes with caution.  Warning, only serve these when you are ready to say “I do”
Ingredients
1 pound crab meat, picked free of shells
1/3 cup of crushed Ritz crackers
2 green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
1 egg
3 Tablespoons greek yogurt
Italian seasoning, to taste
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
Peppercorns, to taste
Chesapeake Bay Seasoning, to taste
Lemon juice, to taste

Instructions:



1. Place crackers into the food processor for a few seconds.
2. Fold together all ingredients except for the egg.
3. Taste mixture to make sure it is seasoned the way you want it.
 4. Add your egg after it taste just right.
5. Form crab meat mixture into patties.  Be sure not to flatten them.
6. Put them on cookie sheet and parchment paper and let set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees (or you can saute them if you prefer)
8. Cook crab cakes on each side for 10 minutes.
9. Broil them for a few seconds afterwards to give them a golden brown coloring.
Image result for engagement ring cartoon
Photo Credit: diamondaddict.com
10.Serve your man, and wait for your ring. 


6 comments:

  1. I MUST try this recipe! I love crab cakes and I love your good humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late response. I just figured out how to use this reply button. Please let me know hot the recipe turns out!

      Delete