Friday, February 20, 2015

Mom's Mouthwatering Doughnuts

This is one of my favorite things to eat when I visit “the bed and breakfast”.  (my husband is convinced that my mom runs a bed and breakfast). 


Now, I want to warn you that these doughnuts are not the healthiest thing to eat, but each bite is 
worth every single mouthwatering calorie.  These babies are delicious!!!! I love y’all so I am going to
 give you some advice.  Only make these when you have a house full of guests.  This will ensure that you do not eat a dozen on your own. 

In case you have not realized, writing recipes is not really my strong suit.  I pretty much just add stuff until it tastes, looks or feels  right.  Thank goodness for the wonderful internet.  I found this recipe that is pretty close to my mom's recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/old-fashioned-cake-doughnuts-donuts-383868
Ingredients
1 Cup Sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup  milk
4 cups of flour
Oil (for frying)
Cinnamon sugar

Directions


In a large bowl mix the sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg



Add eggs, milk and melted butter.  Beat well.



Add 3 cups of the flour, beating until blended.  Add one more cup of flour and beat well.  


The dough should be soft and sticky but firm enough to handle.  Add about ½ cup of flour if needed.
Cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour or more.
Heat oil in to 375F
Roll dough out on floured surface.  

Cut out circles using doughnut cutter
Place doughnuts in the hot oil.  

Flip them over as they puff.
Remove from oil and set them on paper towels or a brown bag.  Let them cool down for one minute. Toss them with cinnamon sugar.
Grab a cup of milk or coffee and enjoy.















3 comments:

  1. Wow, I know your husband loves this food. This looks so good, I remember when I use to love to bake. Makes me want to pick this hobby up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delic! I may have to throw on some pumps and pearls and try this recipe in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete